Frequently Asked Questions About Ohio Spousal Support Laws

Frequently Asked Questions About Ohio Spousal Support Laws
December 1, 0201 Shannon Dawes
The Conciliation Process in an Ohio Divorce

Ohio Spousal Support Law Frequently Asked Questions

During the process of divorce or dissolution in Ohio, you will likely come to the issue of spousal support. In the blog below, Dawes Legal, LLC, answers some frequently asked questions that we hear from our clients about the subject of spousal support in Ohio.

What is ‘spousal support?’

“Spousal support” is the term used in Ohio for what people commonly call “alimony.” Spousal support consists of monetary payments by one former spouse to another and is designed to address the financial difficulties often associated with the end of a marriage.

Will I receive or be required to pay spousal support?

There is no set threshold in Ohio for paying or not paying spousal support upon the end of a marriage. Instead, the court will consider a combination of factors in deciding whether spousal support is appropriate in each case. These factors include:

  • The incomes of both people;
  • The abilities for earning income of both people;
  • Both people’s age and health;
  • Both people’s retirement assets;
  • The amount of time the two people were married;
  • The type of lifestyle enjoyed during the marriage;
  • The education of both people;
  • The assets and debts of both people;
  • The amount of support one person provided for the other to receive education or training during the marriage;
  • The tax consequences of spousal support for both people;
  • The extent to which either person made sacrifices to benefit the home or marriage.

Can I change my spousal support in Ohio?

Yes, you can. If you need to change your spousal support agreement at any time, you are free to do so under Ohio law. You can do this by way of a new agreement between you and your former spouse or through a new court order. If you and your former spouse agree that the arrangement needs to be changed, you can work to come up with a new amount and schedule that better reflects your current situations. You will then ask the court to approve your agreement.

If, however, you and your spouse do not agree that the spousal support needs to be changed, you can request the court for a new order. The court will hear from both spouses about the issue and decide whether the current arrangement should stay in place or whether a new arrangement should be ordered. The court will look at the significance of the circumstances leading to the change and whether those circumstances existed at the time of your original agreement for spousal support.

If you are considering divorce in Ohio and have questions about spousal support or would like to change your current support arrangement, contact Dawes Legal, LLC, today by calling (614) 733-9999. Attorney Shannon Dawes will schedule an initial consultation to answer your questions and help you understand your options in Ohio.